Thursday, July 14, 2011

How I ended up homeless. The story of a judicial travesty.

Hello my fellow reader's,
Tonight I will be telling you the story of how I became homeless. I wanted to start my series of blog's with this story because in large it had a great affect on the person I am today, even though it happened four short year's ago. My experience living on the streets of San Antonio,TX not only gave me the direction to know what I want to do with my life, but also gave me a perspective on the homeless population of american society that I never had before. Not all homeless citizens are bums and beggars, some are hard working people that got hit over the head with life so to speak. Think about all the victims of Hurricane Katrina. I'm sure there were many successful people who were enjoying the fruits of their hard work and effort, only to have their lives torn apart in one fell swoop. So I'm hoping my story will make you think next time you see a man pushing a shopping cart loaded with all his worldly possession's or a bag lady holding a cup out for your spare change just about how lucky you are.
  In 2006 I was working for a company(which I will not name) in Bridgeport,TX I was making great money, however I lived in Denton,TX which was an hour away. Every morning I would get a ride from someone ( who I will not name) who also had a drug problem. For three day's my ride didn't show because of drugs, and being as how I was a brand new father I felt to be responsible I needed a stable income that didn't depend on someone else. So I quit and got three jobs to try to compensate for the lack of income( what can I say I was young). Needless to say I got burned out and still fell short. I ended up having to make one of the hardest decision's in my life. I moved away from my son 3 days before his first birthday, back to my mother's house in California, so I could try to get back on my feet.
 Meanwhile, back in Texas one of my former co-workers decided to steal 6 handwritten payroll checks from my former employer. The problem was (besides the fact he was a thief) he filled them out using my name and tried to cash them. So the State of Texas decided to pursue legal action and put a warrant out for my arrest, with minimal investigation. Herein lies travesty number one, had the investigator done the smallest amount of detective work he would have seen that I was innocent of the charge and the whole situation would have been               avoided, at best would have seen me as a victim of identity theft (which is what I was).
 So, back to California. I get into an altercation with my mother's husband and the police end up being called. After determining that there was no crime committed, the officer's decide to run my license where ( you guessed it) the warrant pops up. So I get arrested and have no earthly clue as to why. I fought the extradition order to no avail for ten day's and get extradited back to Texas with nothing more then the clothes on my back and my driver's license. I spend 7 month's in jail because I refused to plea bargain. I had an excellent public defender who saw my innocence right away and started preparing for trial. By the time the day came we were supposed to pick a jury I was ready for a fight. But alas, to quote my lawyer " You're going to have your day in court but it won't be today, the DA dropped the case". I was ecstatic after spending most of the year in jail my fight was finally over, or so I thought.
I went back to my cell and pack everything I had acquired in jail which amounted to a paper sack full of possession's and waited to be released.All I was looking forward to was seeing my son.I felt like I had made a mistake moving to California. After hour's of waiting, I called the guard and asked what the hold up was, I was after all a free man. When the guard came back I was told there was a hold on me in Bexar County. I had never heard or Bexar County and had no clue where it was let alone have committed any crime there. At this point let me back up.
 Before I went to jail. I had written a check for my child support, which had bounced. Because all child support for my region goes through Bexar County that's where the bounced check case ended up.
 So once again I was waiting to be transported to yet another jail (this would have been my 3rd one). I talk to the judge and even though I was a flight risk I had no contacts, no job, no relatives, no reason to stay in San Antonio and every reason to leave, he let me go on my own recognizance to get the necessary paperwork to show that I had paid ( I ended up being wrong and having to pay it again) and there it was I was released from jail to the streets of San Antonio to find my way. No clothes, money, job, car, house, friends, absolutely nothing but my own wits and the ingrained human will to survive.
 Now a lot of people may see this story and lose faith in the american judicial system DON'T. It by in large works. Yes, there are a lot of mistakes but any system created by humans can and will be flawed. The majority of people in jail deserve to be there. Anyone who has been to jail can ask. Did I do anything to cause me to be in this situation I'm in? and if they are honest with themselves, the answer is probably yes. Think about it, if you didn't speed would you ever get a speeding ticket? Probably not. So you can't blame the cop for pulling you over. Blame yourself for speeding. So I'm not bitter at being in jail. I hold no grudges for the people who did there jobs. I actually got along with the guards at the Denton County Jail, they treated me like a human being and not an animal in a cage. I also will be the first person to call the police if need be.
 Besides some good did come out of it. I realized what I wanted to do with my life, what my purpose is so to speak. I want to help the homeless. I also met the mother of my second born son, though unlikely while homeless on a bus. I have gained a much more understanding of how the decisions i make affect me and other's around me and have become a better man able to whether any storm I face. After all what can be worse then being thrown in jail for a crime you didn't commit and being released on the streets. Everything else pales in comparison.
 I hope you find some use from this story. In the future I will write about my actual experiences on the street's. So please continue to read. Carpe Diem (Seize the Day) and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment